It’s June and that means that we’re celebrating Pride this month. Pride month is a time devoted to celebrating LGBTQ+ history and diversity by bringing communities together. In Toronto, there are various events throughout the month of June that celebrate Pride, from a Queer night at Ripley’s Aquarium, to a memorial for the lives lost at Pulse Nightclub in Orlando. The celebration concludes with the famed Pride Parade on June 25th.
Pride means different things for different people, but the act of being proud of who you are is something we can all share and work towards. For me, Pride Month is about honouring my own, and other people’s, diverse sexualities and gender identities. It’s about appreciating the progress and tolerance the world has gained, but also recognizing where we’ve fallen short.
Part of the fun of pride is making everything rainbow-themed. Some people dye their hair rainbow or put a flag outside their house, but I thought it would be fun and cute to create a few simple, healthy, and of course colourful summer recipes in the spirit of Pride. These recipes are perfect for impressing your friends and family, and are an easy way to put a little bit of pride on your plate.
First, we have a rainbow fruit pizza, which is a super healthy snack or dessert to share with friends while taking in some sun. It’s easy to make, and you can utilize as much or as little creativity as you feel like. The only challenge is cutting the watermelon so that it’s flat on both sides, but it really doesn’t need to be perfect in order to look or taste good.
Rainbow Fruit Pizza
1 whole watermelon
Unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Slice the watermelon down the middle, creating a pizza-like shape that is 1.5 inches thick
2. Sprinkle unsweetened coconut flakes all over the pink part of the watermelon
3. Place fruit in rainbow order, working from the outside to the inside
4. Slice and share!
Veggie skewers are the perfect side dish for any summer barbecue, but are especially fun (and nutritious) because they are bright and colourful. They taste best grilled, but can also be roasted if you don’t have access to a barbecue. Add whichever colourful veggies you like and cook them to your heart’s content!
Colourful Veggie Skewers
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop veggies so that they’re not too big, but can fit on the skewer without falling off
2. Load skewer stick in rainbow order, with just enough space at the bottom to hold the stick
3. Combine olive oil, balsamic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl
4. Paint each skewer with oil mixture and grill until lightly charred
To complete a series of summer recipes, we need a drink. Whether you’re looking for a boozy beverage or just aiming for something light and refreshing, this fruity mojito will quench your thirst.
1. Place 4 raspberries at the bottom of a glass and mash with a spoon
2. Add a handful of ice in each cup
3. Wash the mint and place a couple sprigs in each cup
4. Slice the orange into moons, squeeze and drop rinds into cup
5. Add a few blueberries and desired amount of both sparkling water and lemonade
6. Using a knife, peel off a small piece of lemon rind for garnish
Of course Pride is a lot more than celebrating and partying, but since it’s summer and you’re probably already partying anyways, these recipes are perfect for enjoying this lovely season. One of my favourite things to do is make special food and drinks for friends, and I can confirm that these recipes are crowd pleasers. Happy Pride! Whatever that means for you.0