For as long as I can remember, my mother and I have loved to experiment in the kitchen. Many years ago on a rainy afternoon, we conjured up this recipe and it’s been a family favorite ever since. The fruit-filled sweet treats are a delicious and healthier twist on the traditional chocolate brownie. Try them out for a lighter dessert or an easy breakfast on-the-go!
2 cups sugar
2 sticks butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups chopped Granny Smith apple
2 cups flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add the beaten eggs and chopped apple and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients, then add to the apple mixture and stir well.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 40 minutes.
Let the brownies cool completely before cutting them into squares. In the rare case that they don’t all disappear in the first hour, they freeze well.