If you weren’t wondering what to bring to your next dinner party, you are now. With dinner parties, finger food is generally the go-to. (Almost) everybody loves cheese and bread and this is an easy snack that will satisfy all of your cheesy cravings while you sip on some fine wine. It’s simple, savoury and a definite crowd pleaser. A special thanks to cooks Isabella Fiorino and Kayla Trigiani for their expertise and to Smooth Studios for the tasty looking visuals!
- 1/4ounce dried yeast or 3/4 ounce (20 grams) fresh yeast
- 1cup lukewarm water
- 4cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons of butter
- 7ounces or 200 grams of cheese (one of: herb & garlic cheddar, gorgonzola, parmesan or any cheese of your choice)
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of fresh basil
- Add 1 cup of lukewarm water into a mixing bowl, stir in the yeast and let it sit for 10-12 minutes to let it soften. Sift flour into a bowl and add salt before pouring over the yeast and water mixture. Add half of the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to the mix. Combine to create the dough. With flour, knead on a surface for about 7-10 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Place the ball of dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover it with a damp towel and let the dough rise. (Note: put it in a warm place free from draughts until it doubles in size – this should take 45 minutes to an hour).
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Stretch the dough to an rectangular shape at about 1 inch thick. Dimple the dough with your fingers create pockets for the olives. Drizzle and spread the remaining olive oil over the top of the dough. Sprinkle over salt and basil, and add the olives and the cheese.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes, and then sprinkle walnuts, and drizzle on a little extra olive oil if you please.