Great for breakfast, lunch or even dinner!
Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Low-Carb, Paleo
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (wiped clean and stem removed)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- ½ teaspoon thyme (fresh or dried)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- 4 tablespoons chopped basil for garnish
1. Preheat broiler, setting it to “high”.
2. Place the mushroom caps on your cooking tray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Broil 5 minutes on each side, or until just tender.
3. Remove mushrooms from oven. Switch oven from broil to bake, setting temperature to 400 degrees F.
4. Break an egg into each mushroom. Sprinkle the eggs with salt, pepper and thyme.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until egg whites are cooked.
5. Sprinkle the eggs with cheese, and leave them in the oven until cheese melts. Garnish with basil, and serve.
To avoid sogginess of the mushrooms: don’t wash the mushrooms, just wipe them clean (they absorb water) and don’t forget to broil them before breaking the eggs in order to release some of the water. Baking them too long will result in mushy mushrooms that have released their liquid into the eggs. However, if that happens, do not worry, simply drain the liquid, and place the mushrooms on paper towels to soak as much of the liquid as you can.
Serving size: 1 Portobello Boat